So, the other day I had a bit of a surprise. Someone had tweeted at me! Incredibly novel in itself but even more amazing was that the tweet was nominating me for some sort of award.
Haha I actually woke up and immediately checked my phone – still bleary eyed – like a true millennial and thought I’d be nominated for a Lobster Award until I looked a little closer and it turned out to be a Liebster award. Never heard of it? No me neither!
The Liebster Award works like this:
- Post the Liebster Award graphic on your site
- Thank the blogger who nominated you
- Answer the questions posed to you by the nominator
- Nominate other blogs to receive the award
- Write questions of your own for your nominees to answer
So firstly a massive thanks to Reel Red Reviews for nominating me for the Liebster Award. I genuinely honoured when anyone says they enjoy reading my posts because to be honest I don’t know I’m doing and just make this up as I go along.
My Answers to Reel Red Reviews’ questions:
1 – What’s the best movie you’ve seen in this year (so far)? – Difficult one. It’s got to be The Revenant although funnily enough I didn’t think it should have won Leo an Oscar. Runner ups go to the hilarious Deadpool, The Nice Guys which was surprisingly good or the wonderful 10 Cloverfield Lane.
2 – What’s the worst movie you’ve seen in this year (so far), and what made it so awful? – I could easily say Gods of Egypt but now it’s one of those films that’s so bad it’s almost good. Alternatively I could vote for Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice for being hugely disappointing but no! my absolute worst film this year is The Forest which is an unmittigating disaster in almost every regard. full of plot holes and bad acting and it’s not even scary. Just awful.
3 – What’s the worst remake you’ve ever seen? – Old Boy. The original Korean film is an incredible psychological journey with one of the best one-shot scenes of any films. Old Boy didn’t need to be remade… then in steps Hollywood.
4 – Which actor/actress could you see yourself being best friends with? – Sam Rockwell. Ever since watching Moon I have had a bit of a man crush on him. Alternatively Margot Robbie because I have a bit of a man crush on her! 🙂
5 – Pick a director to helm a movie about your life. – My life has been quiet ordinary really so I’d need someone to jazz that boring shit up. Maybe Luc Besson.
6 – What’s your favorite iconic movie line? – I don’t think I have one. One that seems to have sprung to mind as I type is “lllllllllllllliiiiike a glove!” from Ace Ventura – still makes me chuckle.
7 – If you were to work on a movie, which role do you see yourself best performing (i.e. writer, director, producer, actor, or…)? – I definitely have a face for radio and about a year after I finished a documentary module my teacher stopped me in the corridor and said “I remember you… you had some really great cinematography work”. So there it is: cinematographer.
8 – Who would win in a fight – Voldemort or Kylo Ren? – Kylo Ren. Never understood the whole Harry Potter thing.
9 – Do you believe in aliens, ghosts, and/or the Loch Ness Monster? – No no and no although I really wish that all of them existed.
10 – In how many years do you predict that they’ll start working on a film about Brexit? – We’ve been seeing films being made nearer and nearer the event of late (The Big Short) so it’s probably being scripted right now.
11 – What’s the best vacation you’ve ever had? – Rome was amazing. I just love how picture perfect the architecture is and how you can walk down a tiny back street and stumble on a beautiful fresco or sculpture that isn’t even considered to be of importance.
I went travelling through southeast asia in early 2015 and that was also pretty incredible for so many reasons.
However, my best trip was to Japan in 2000 and something. I was alone, forced to break through my comfort zone and exactly the right age where I still found wonder in everything rather than being this grumpy old curmudgeon. What I loved about this trip was having experiences that were all mine so no matter what happens I can still look introspectively and smile on this period of my life.
1. Gareth Rhodes Film Reviews – I wish I could write like this guy. Gareth manages to inject a bit of film theory to his reviews whilst keeping it concise, entertaining and informative.
2. Tazscribble’s Blog – My little lady friend likes to blog about our travels and has a much bigger readership than my film blog… not that I’m jealous. I’m not!!!
3. Slate the Silver Screen – Used to enjoy reading this film blog but seems to have gone quiet recently. 😦
- You can pick one book/movie/tv series or computer game to make into a brand new movie. What would it be?
- What is the first film you remember watching at the cinema?
- What film would you remove from existence given the chance and why?
- Name one person who has been an inspiration on your life
- If you could be a professional anything… what would that anything be?
- Where is the place/country that you most want to go to?
- Chocolate cake and ice cream or apple pie and custard?
- What superpower do you want? (flying, invisibility and mind reading are not allowed)